In a previous post, I shared ways to improve your Alexa ranking and it was extremely well received by my readers. It turns out, many other bloggers are searching for answers about rankings, followers, views, and states so, after proudly reaching 10 million views, I’ve decided to re-post the article. I’d love your feedback and if you have anything that I’m missing, please share with others. We are, after all, a community and it is that community that leads to success.
1. Alt tags should be on all of your images. Images are invisible to search engines, and alt tags are an easy way to tell search engines what your image is about. Below a recently uploaded image, there should be a section that says, “Title”, “Alternate Text”, “Caption”, and “Description”. Tuck in a keyword for the alt tags and maximize the impact of the images on your site.
2. Download the Alexa toolbar and use it every day to visit your own website. You can see how your rankings are improving. Alexa even gives you the ability to co-brand the toolbar with your own logo and give it away. You can download the toolbar here:http://www.alexa.com/toolbar?utm_source=top-nav&utm_medium=www&utm_campaign=toolbar.
3. Encourage your website visitors to add their positive testimonials on Alexa’s detailed listings page for your website. This can be done by placing a link to the appropriate Alexa page on your website and asking visitors to “Click here to rate this website”. You can find a detailed Alexa page here: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/lesleycarter.wordpress.com. I checked the best ranked site on Alexa, which is Google, and they have 1047 reviews! I currently have 1! My goal is to gain 150 reviews before the end of the year! It’s a lot but with your support, I can make it happen. So, for every person that adds a review at http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/lesleycarter.wordpress.com, I will add a review for your site as well. It will take no more than 2 minutes; let’s grow in success together! Click on http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/lesleycarter.wordpress.com and hit the five star button. After you’ve done it, shoot me a quick email, firstname.lastname@example.org, with your blog address and I will return the favor.
4. Link your blog to Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook. Blog posts shared on Twitter get 113% more inbound links than those not shared on social media at all. Also, did you know that Facebook is now the most preferred way of sharing content – second only to email? Promoting your site through social media such as Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook is key to funneling more traffic to your site. You can check out my Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest accounts for more photos and writings. It’s a great place to get to know each other better.
5. Social shares such as tweets, likes, and follows are considered a superior and lasting way to promote the popularity of your site. Meaningful comments that show the writer you actually read their writing go a long way. I usually spend my morning and sometimes my evenings searching for other great sites to “like”, comment on, and share with others. It is this connection with other writers that lead them to my site. Remember to actually read the post and provide a meaningful comment. Besides, it’s great to read the work of other like-minded writers. It’s a win-win situation.
6. Responding to comments and messages shows readers that you care about their support. Regardless of the length of the comment or the content, that reader felt connected enough to your writing to respond and it warrants a response.
7. Every link to your site is another vote in the giant popularity contest that is the internet. The more sites that link to you, the better you will rank. Keep on creating and sharing all that great content, and you’ll keep moving closer to the top of the charts.
Obviously, content is king and is the number one factor in improving your rankings. Visitor engagement looks at how many times your visitors came to your site, how long they stayed around, and how many pages they viewed. In general, ranking sites want to see that people came to your site and stayed around because of all your great content. I’ve directed you to the good practices that I use, now go make that content great. May you continue to grow with success!