Yesterday I celebrated American Thanksgiving with good friends and family, delicious food and wine, and beautiful weather. I am thankful for so much in my life that listing all of the things would take me days but I still wanted to recognize how truly grateful I am for my life, my health, and my family. When I think about the best parts of my life, here’s the first five things that come to my mind…
1. My loving, supportive family. My definition of family has drastically changed over the last few years. Brothers and sisters, parents, and grandparents will always hold my heart and my hand in life. My family has expanded to include my partner in crime, my husband and the most meaningful part of our lives, our daughter.
2. My friends. This Thanksgiving was spent with two of my most cherished friends, Lou and Jill. They have taken me under their wing and treat me like a daughter. The way they interact with Athena warms my heart and has extended my family in California.
3. My health and the health of my family. Every day I’m grateful for the health family and friends and I hope for the health and wellness of others.
4. My career. I’ve made a career out of what I love the most in the world – travel. When you spend every day doing what you love, you never feel like you work a day in your life.
5. My wealth. This one sounds selfish, but without a financially stable situation life can be taxing, even if you have a loving family and friends and good health. I’m not rich and we manage our money well, but I don’t worry about how we’re going to afford to eat or put a roof over our heads.
Thanksgiving is not all about turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. The name of the holiday conveys what the day is supposed to be about. We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives. What are you thankful for this year?